Wednesday 3 September 2014

Muhammed Ali and Preparation


 
Judo is an unforgiving sport.  In tennis if you lose a point, no biggie, you still get untold chances to win the game, set or match.  Fall over in a race?  No problem, get up and run faster!  (Don’t believe me? Watch this clip of Heather Dornidan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsOBaV_93yQ ) But in Judo one momentary lapse in concentration and you’re flat on your back with no chance of a comeback at that elusive Gold or even Silver medal, after sometimes years of training for that moment.  Many of our London Olympian GB Judo Athletes know the painful truth of that. 
Please do not think I am trying to compare myself to an international level full time athlete, far from it. But with just 21 days to go until the World Veterans Championships, my mind is sharply focused on being as prepared as I can be, otherwise I’m just setting myself up for a big fail.
The basics should be simple enough. Sleep Right, Eat Right, Train Right.  Actually not so simple.  After work I miss my little ones (Sophie is 8 and Archie is 4) and want to make sure they have my time.  The new term is starting, Archie’s birthday is next week and if you do make an unannounced visit to my house please don’t expect to be able to see the floor and feel free to wash up your own tea cup before getting a drink.  Lost school shoes, babysitters, games of hide and seek, early morning networking and late night training make getting ‘sleep, eat, train’ right, a piece of precision logistics, that I don’t always get right. But like Dory says…
 
 
‘Even superheroes had to start somewhere’ is the mantra for Absolutely Fitness.  (Watch out for a random picture of me in Malaga in a superheroes outfit!)  Far short of reaching superhero status, I have at least come some way from where I was, largely due to building a team and support network around me.  Many players have an individual coach and train primarily at one club.  The coach, players and players families form one self -supporting team.  My team is a little more unorthodox, but I simply couldn’t survive without them.  At the centre are my two training partners and my mum (Ta Mum!) Then there are key coaches at a couple of clubs that are invaluable. After this and definitely no less important are a core group of friends and family whose support comes in many forms.  None of these people need naming. They know who they are. 



Abu Dhabi/National Teams/Inspirational Tom Reed
The last part must come from me.  My focus and my work ethic have to be right up there or I’m simply letting myself, my team and my sponsors down.  And more than that, I want to be that example to Sophie and Archie so that they can work hard to get what they want.
I’ve just re-read through this post and realised that it might come off as moaning.  Truth is, although in the future I have plans and ambitions in and outside of judo;  I have a beautiful family, amazing friends,  I know who I am and what I want.  Right now I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time.
 (Or I will be when I get my hands on that medal)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment